Spring and Container
*This part replaces obsolete part #: 98773A, UP03917 and A98773A.
|Manufacturer: Ryobi, Homelite, Ridgid|
|Product Number: 638033001|
|Weight: 0.08 lbs.|
|Also Known As: Rewind Spring, Recoil Starter Spring, Starter Spring, Return Spring|
|Shipping: Ships Worldwide|
|This is a genuine OEM replacement part, it is sold individually.|
This is the spring that recoils the starter rope on the models shown below.
Over time the spring will wear and loose its tension and sometimes break.
We do have an article and video on "How to Fix the Starter" that can be found on the front page of our site, by clicking on the "Repair Center"
This part is compatible with the following machines:
CS30 (RY30000) 30cc String Trimmer
RY30000B 30cc String Trimmer
SS30 (RY30002) 30cc String Trimmer
SS30 (RY30002A) 30cc String Trimmer
RY30002B 30cc String Trimmer
BC30 (RY30004) 30cc Brushcutter
BC30 (RY30004A) 30cc Brushcutter
RY30004B 30cc Brushcutter
RY30004D 30cc Brushcutter
RY30020A 30cc String Trimmer
CS30 (RY30021A) 30cc String Trimmer
RY30040A 30cc String Trimmer
RY30040B 30cc String Trimmer
SS30 (RY30041A) 30cc String Trimmer
RY30060A 30cc Brushcutter
RY30060B 30cc Brushcutter
BC30 (RY30061A) 30cc Brushcutter
RY30120 30cc String Trimmer
RY30140 30cc String Trimmer
BC30 (RY30160) 30cc Brushcutter
RY30220 30cc String Trimmer
RY30220A 30cc String Trimmer
RY30220B 30cc String Trimmer
RY30240 30cc String Trimmer
RY30240B 30cc String Trimmer
RY30260 30cc Brushcutter
RY30260B 30cc Brushcutter
RY30524 30cc String Trimmer
RY30530 30cc String Trimmer and Brushcutter
RY30544 30cc String Trimmer
RY30550 30cc String Trimmer and Brushcutter
RY30564 30cc Brushcutter
RY30570 30cc String Trimmer and Brushcutter
RY30951 30cc String Trimmer and Brushcutter
RY30971 30cc String Trimmer and Brushcutter
RY39500 26cc Hedge Trimmer
RY39500 26cc Hedge Trimmer
RY52014 TP30 Gas Pruner
RY52502 Gas Pruner
RY52504 Gas Pruner
RY52903 Gas Pruner
RY52905 Gas Pruner
RY70101 Curved Shaft Trimmer
RY70101A Curved Shaft Trimmer
RY70103 Curved Shaft Trimmer
RY70103A Curved Shaft Trimmer
RY70105 Straight Shaft Trimmer
RY70105A Straight Shaft Trimmer
RY70107 Straight Shaft Trimmer
RY70107A Straight Shaft Trimmer
RY70111 Curved Shaft Trimmer
RY70113 Curved Split Shaft Trimmer
RY30020 30cc Curved Shaft String Trimmer
RY30060 30cc Brushcutter
SS30 (RY30040) 30cc Straight Shaft String Trimmer
RY30023 30cc Curved Shaft String Trimmer
RY30063 30cc Brushcutter
SS30 (RY30043) 30cc Straight Shaft String Trimmer
RY30020B 30cc String Trimmer
CS30 (RY26500) Trimmer
RY26540 Brush Cutter
RY26941 Brush Cutter
UT-08981 26cc Blower
UT-08520 26cc Blower
UT-08921 26cc Blower
UT-08550 26cc Blower
UT-08951 26cc Blower
UT-20042 25cc EZ Reach String Trimmer
UT-20042-A 25cc EZ Reach String Trimmer
UT-20043-A 25cc EZ Reach String Trimmer
UT-20022 25cc Trimmer
UT-20022-A 25cc Trimmer
UT-20023-A 25cc Trimmer
UT-20002-A 25cc Trimmer
UT-20003-A 25cc Trimmer
B25C (UT-20768) Trimmer
B25C (UT-20770) Trimmer
B25S (UT-15182) Trimmer
UT15198 (BC1600) Trimmer
BC3000 (UT-15099-R) Trimmer
BC730SBR (UT-15113-R) Trimmer
BC800 (UT-15184) Trimmer
BC900 (UT-15166) Trimmer
BC900 (UT-15172) Trimmer
C1200 (UT-20809) Trimmer
C300 (UT-20755) Trimmer
C300 (UT-20775) Trimmer
D630CD (UT-20622) Trimmer
UT20696 (D725CD) Trimmer
D725CD (UT-20714) Trimmer
D725CD (UT-20739) Trimmer
D725CD (UT-20761) Trimmer
UT20695 (D725CDE) Trimmer
UT20713 (D725CDE) Trimmer
D725CDE (UT-20773) Trimmer
D730CDV (UT-20620) Trimmer
UT20711 (D825CA) Trimmer
D825CA (UT-20736) Trimmer
UT20705 (D825CDP) Trimmer
UT15152 (D825SB) Trimmer
UT15165 (D825SB) Trimmer
UT15170 (D825SB) Trimmer
UT20700 (D825SD) Trimmer
UT20701 (D825SD) Trimmer
UT20709 (D825SD) Trimmer
D825SD (UT-20729) Trimmer
D825SD (UT-20774) Trimmer
D825SD (UT-20784) Trimmer
D830CA (UT-20642) Trimmer
D830CB (UT-15109) Trimmer
D830CB (UT-15109-1) Trimmer
D830CD (UT-20622-A) Trimmer
D830SB (UT-15108) Trimmer
D830SB (UT-15108-1) Trimmer
D830SBA (UT-15115) Trimmer
D830SD (UT-20621) Trimmer
This item works with the following types of products:
- • Blower
- • Hedge Trimmer
- • Pruner
- • Trimmer
There are differences between the BC30 that I have and the SS30 in the video, so I would like to take this opportunity to go over the differences with anyone else who has this model.
1. The clutch drum takes a T20 Torx head driver, not a T25 used in the video, but the rest of the fasteners are T25.
2. The starter spring goes face down against the plastic ribs with the metal cover covering it, so the spring is not visible other than its center tab showing through the hole in the cover plate. The part is shown this way in the parts lists, too. Then you can set the 6-7 turn preload in a clockwise (vice a clockwise) fashion, attach your starter cord, and the cord will retract properly (counter clockwise). For this part it's a definitely good to have a helper when tying the cord, I'm just not good at one handed tying like Mark.
3. Mine uses the two clutch plates, too. Put the first one on in a reverse shape like Mark does, and the second in a normal. This way the two clutch plate surfaces with the small dimple will be facing each other. The dimples don't have to exactly face each other, just the surfaces, so even if the dimples are 180 off it's still ok.
4. I use mine as a pole saw and have several other Expand-it attachments, so make sure the clutch drum engages properly with the drive pin inside the pole and doesn't get positioned off center.
5. If your trimmer won't start, try reversing the electrical leads to the cutoff switch, they are not marked. The right way it will start (eventually), the wrong way it will never start.
Also replaced the fuel tank the lines were cracking and sucking air, making priming impossible. The tank comes with the lines pre attached and Mark has a useful video on this, too. Also cleaned the carburetor with carburetor cleaner and cleaned the sponge style air filter. Now it runs and drives the saw again!
Drill two holes in the fan so you can hold it in place while taking off the shaft nut
Clean all parts before assembly
Follow arrow as to the direction to wind the new rope
2. Followed the steps as shown and ended up with a starter that worked backwards. It spun the motor as it recoiled the rope into the housing.
3. Quickly determined that the spring installation in the video is backwards, the coiled spring should not be visible- the spring casing should face out.
4. Reassembled and pole saw started on the first pull.
2. Removed spark plug and interred end of plastic tie wrap to bind cylinder while loosening clutch assembly fro front of engine.
3. Removed starter housing and removed spring retainer
4. Cut pull handle from old string and saved for reuse.
5. Removed old spring and starter pulley.
6. Assembled new spring and new starter pulley and wound starter rope.
7. Places new assembly into starter housing ensuring spring notch was positioned in the grove, turned assembly and spring to apply 3 turns of tension on spring, feed starter rope thru hole and applied small vise grip on outside of rope to hold Spring tension.
8. Reinstalled spring retainer, pulled starter rope to fully wind spring to its max and moved the vise grip to a position on the rope closest to the starter housing to hole spring tension while knitting the pull handle in place.
9. Removed the vise grip and ensured the starter rope retracted into the housing correctly.
10. Installed starter housing, clutch assembly, spark plug, engine cover and reassembled the trimmer head to shaft.
Main trick was a clutch removal from the shaft.
I didn't realize that a clutch is threaded to the shaft and broke it during removal.
New clutch from this site actually shows an arrow that indicates a direction of rotation for a clutch to be removed. Original clutch didn't have that.
Replaced worn / broken parts
Rewound new pull cord
re assembled all to housing