Repair Parts Home    Power Tool Parts    Porter Cable Parts    883498 Switch and Triac (120 Volt)

883498 Switch and Triac (120 Volt)

Part Number: 883498
Porter Cable
Availability: Discontinued

This part is no longer available from the manufacturer.
This Trigger switch has 3 wires connected to a triac (also called a heat sink). This genuine Porter Cable replacement part is sold individually.
rnrnSwitches are commonly replaced parts in power tools. A switch handles on/off and variable speed functions. They also have a role in electric breaking; they can momentarily reverse electrical polarity. Because switches use mechanical internals, they will degrade and wear out over time, eventually requiring replacement. Some common signs of a broken or failing switch are:rn
  • The tool has completely stopped functioning – it will not turn on.rn
  • The tool operates intermittently, requiring multiple tries to turn on, until eventually it won’t turn on at all.rn
  • The variable speed function and electric braking aren’t working properly.
  • Discussion
    Discussion for Switch and Triac (120 Volt) - ( 883498 )
    You need to be signed in to participate in the discussion.
    You need to be signed in to particupate in the discussion.
    Ask a question, answer a question, or post a comment!
    • Subject:
    • Comment:
    Question: Trigger Switch 883498


    is there a replacement part for this switch
    Reply: Trigger Switch 883498


    Hello duck,

    You can use Metabo part number 343407620 Switch 120 V. Instead of the 883498.

    Question: Triac Switch


    What's the replacement for the triac switch that was discontinued for everything related to drills and saws ?
    Reply: Triac Switch


    The idiots at Stanley-Black & Decker (which now owns DeWalt, Porter-Cable, B&D, Stanley, Bostitch, Delta, and about 2 dozen other companys) sometimes make that switch available, sometimes call that switch 'No Longer Available'. They can't seem to figure it out lately, along with many other things....
    That switch fits most of the PorterCable sawsalls made for the last 15+yrs.. and they can't seem to decide whether or not to make it available... a sign as to how screwed up that company has become.

    HOWEVER.... The Metabo sawsall, model PSE1200 it the same exact saw as the PorterCable Mod #9748, Every part and detail is the 'exact' same, the only difference is that the housing is green. (makes me think that Stanley-Bostitch now owns Metabo too ?)
    The switch is the exact one that Stanley- B&D says is no longer available, and is still available from Metabo. Part number 343407620
    What are my options now that Porter-Cable has discontinued the switch for my Model 740 Recip/vari-angle saws? These things were not cheap
    Reply: 883498 Switch Substitute Or Repa...


    Hello 1218779,

    Unfortunately the 883498 Switch hasn't been available quite a while. We have been trying to locate substitute for it, but haven't had any luck. You may want to look for a used saw and use it for parts. If you click on the part number below, you will see the models that this switch was used in.

    Question: Replacement Switch


    The switch has broken on my tiger saw and i am looking for a direct replacement which your site says is discontinued. What can i use for a replacement?

    Thank yiou
    Reply: Replacement Switch


    Hello 1208019,

    When the manufacture stopped supplying the 883498 Switch and Triac (120 Volt), they did not replace it with another switch. They did sell thousands of those tiger saws. You may be able to keep searching for one one line and locate one.

    Good luck,
    Question: Next Step For Triac


    Part number: 883498

    Do I have to throw away my Tiger Saw now?? What is the alternative. Saw is in great condition except for burned-out switch at handle. Please advise.
    Reply: Next Step For Triac


    Will this help? link removed Cable Switch w Triac ' 737' 883498 | eBay
    Question: Portercable


    i have a variable speed saw sall the trigger switch is bad model of swicth is 27-99x 5 wire 115 volt 3.5 to 12 amp is the 883498 the replacement
    Reply: Portercable


    Hello coolman1,

    Below is a list of the tools that the 883468 switch is used in. If one of them is the model number of your saw then it will work just fine.

    Hope this helps,
    Product Information
    Manufacturer: Porter Cable
    Category Number: 883498
    Classification: Part
    Weight: 0.20 lbs.
    Shipping: Ships Worldwide world wide shipping icon
    Repair Guides
    How to Replace the Brush Card in a Milwaukee Cordless Drill
    Remove and install a brush card in a Milwaukee cordless drill. Step-by-step instructions show you how....
    December 09, 2014
    How to Replace the Switch on a DeWALT Cordless Drill
    Swap your switch. Step-by-step instructions show you how to remove and install the VSR switch on your DeWALT cordless ha...
    January 21, 2016